Monday, January 22, 2007

On our own...

Both my aunties are back in Singapore so we were on our own for the first time! It was just my cousin, my auntie's staff from Cambodia and myself....It was quite an adventure because I had to put my Vietnamese, however limited, to the test! No one around to help us translate when we went shopping or to tell the driver where we wanted to go next. But I must say that I'm getting pretty good! hehe...at least we didn't get lost and the sales people understood us when we wanted to bargain....lucky they knew some English too! :)

The first Gloria Jean's coffee opened on Dong Khoi street (their upmarket shopping area, like our Orchard Rd) and I had to have their Oreo Cookie Mocha Chiller! Yummy!

And also a slice of cake....but it was too sweet for me... :P


We also ventured out for dinner, wanted to try something other than our regular haunts. Wanted to have Korean food so asked the driver to go along the street where there were a lot of Korean restaurants. Stopped at the first one we saw because there were quite a few people inside....thought that it had to be good to have so many customers. Turned out that we were right, the food was yummy!


My favourite bi-bim-bap...


After dinner, we met one of our staff for coffee and headed over to this newly opened cafe & pub called MGM.

It was quite a wierd experience actually..... The first 2 levels was the cafe while the next 2 levels was the pub. It looked really nice from the outside, very relac-jack ambience but once you enter, the place was packed, chairs and sofas were placed back to back to accomodate the big crowd and they had this DJ that was blasting house music! It was so freaking loud that I dont know how people can actually talk to each other. It felt really wierd sitting there, drinking coffee in a rather brightly lit environment having the loud house music pounding through fibre of your body..... and there were kids around too....wierd to the max!
We went up to the pub upstairs after that....the music was even LOUDER! It was actually more like a mini disco with a dance floor in the center but as usual, people were just sitting around, drinking alcohol...they don't dance and can't talk 'cos of the music....so all just sitting around and people watching. Wierd again.....
So we left shortly after.... half deaf....couldn't wait to get home and watch my DVDs.... :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Ann, so brave of you to up and move to another country to work. Must be scary, yet exciting.

Unknown said...

babe, this is SERIOUSLY turning out to be a foodie blog. =) hehe. but am not complainin! keep it coming!

Rather than commenting on all ur posts, will comment all at once here la. :P Can i just say that:
1) your table is not little. u have so much space!
2) think ur job perks are so much better than ours,
and 3) would your aunts wanna employ me? heehee :)

take care sweets. miss ya!

playfulmeowz said...

bi-bim-bap is my fav too, although I don't know where to get good ones in Singapore.