Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hanoi

Went to Hanoi for work to scout out a suitable location to open a new salon....and at the same time to catch some sights and SHOP!

Weather was great as it's winter now....so I got to wear my furs and minks! Kidding....just a plain old jacket for me...

Took a ride around the city on a Sichlo (Seek-low), its like a trishaw...here's a my auntie in one...


The main shopping street is called Hang Gai. Its just streets and streets of these little shops. The funny thing about it is that each street has its own characteristics....its either a shoe street or scarves street or toy street etc etc, all the shops sell the same things!

Shoes anyone???



A cute little cafe at the intersection of Hang Gai....see all the motorbikes?!!? They are EVERYWHERE!!!


Went to this restaurant called Jungle where they served mainly traditional food from the tribes...check out the English translation on the menus...I especially love the 'Chicken' items!


They had a dish that I really liked, Bamboo Sticky Rice. It was just plain rice stuffed into a bamboo but it was really fragrant and yummy...


And they had this really funky heater! It looks like a fan with no blades! Maybe they fix back the blades during summer so that it can be used as a fan then.... Cool or what!?


But the most interesting thing for me in Hanoi was the pedestrian walking signs....they are all different!! Every where I walked, there were these walking signs...and whenever I turn into another street, there's a different one looking at me! Ok maybe not every street, but at least a couple of streets down, you will see a different looking sign! Suspect there's no quality control whatsoever...whichever contractor gets appointed does their own signs! Hehe...


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Princess!! hehe.. finally we get to see Vietnam through your eyes!

Love the pics... especially the "walking" signs.. hehe.

Can't wait for more updates!
xx

Aspiring Baker Gal said...

Hi Cuz

Glad u finally got down to getting ur blog done.Remember to persist and update ur blog during your travels yah?

Cheers! Amy

chowlaurence said...

i miss my time in vietnam.

i am truly envious.

you win.

Guan said...

Anne, the shoe shot should drive the women crazy. Can you bring back the heater-fan for us? altho I dunno if we need it in SG (tho it's been quite cool the past few dayz). Take care and continue the updates!

lololamination said...

i miss u honey bunny!! poopie loo and i will try to make it to vietnam this year, and prob drag lukas along too....

u're a true singaporean la, such a foodie....so u gona learn to make some viet dishes and come cook for us?

Unknown said...

Hey Ma-Mi! When r u coming back, so that we can win more money from KK & K ;)

Nice pics. I just got back from the states myself about 2 weeks ago and trust me, they've got nothin on vietnam.

Play on playa...

playfulmeowz said...

so farneee